Sunday, February 24, 2008

Customizing Vista Explorer's Details pane.

I notice that when I select a JPEG file in Vista, Explorer shows a thumbnail and some information about the file in the Details pane on the bottom. This is a good idea. However, I cannot understand how someone could chose to display those particular details. My main objection is the camera model and camera manufacturer field. I know what kind of camera I have, and when viewing others' images I don't care about the camera brand that much either. It would make far more sense to devote that space to information like exposure time and F-stop. However, you cannot change that from the GUI.

Yes, I found out how to change this by editing PreviewDetails in HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\.jpg and that's not too hard for me. I just find it ridiculous and idiotic to have such useless defaults which cannot be changed except by editing a string in the registry.

No comments: