Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Associating .vbs files with Notepad++ breaks VBScript

I associated .vbs files with Notepad++ 5.1, thinking that will make editing them more convenient and prevent accidentally running some nasty script. Actually, it totally disabled VBScript. When I tried to install a new driver for my network card, I was told "There is no script engine for file extension VBS". Re-registering vbscript.dll and other DLLs didn't help. Running Notepad++ as administrator and removing the file association fixed the problem.

2 comments:

melvynadam said...

Removing the association didn't fix this for me. Any other suggestions?

I'm getting "There is no script engine for file extension" for "vbs" and even "txt" files now!

melvynadam said...

Fixed it by changing the association to csript instead of wscript as recommended here:
http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/script-reset-vbs-file-application-association-help-60639602.html