Thursday, November 12, 2009

Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver causes 0x9088 bluescreen

I just saw my first Windows 7 problem. My computer locked up with the hard drive LED lit after resuming from sleep. Then I reset my computer, it started resuming from disk, and I got a blue screen.

I had never seen the 0x9088 (sometimes written as 0x00009088 or 9088) code, and very little information was available online. Fortunately, WinDbg was able to help. The crash was in iaStor.sys, the driver for the ICH9R SATA controller on my GA-P35-DS3R motherboard. Release notes for version 8.6.0.1007 mentioned fixes for that error. I guess those fixes weren't sufficient, because I was using Matrix Storage Manager 8.9.0.1023.

After a bit of searching, I saw that there was a new Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.5.0.1037 driver. It wasn't available from Intel, but it was digitally signed and available from many places online. I still don't know if it fixes the problem, and it will be hard to tell because this problem must be rare.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have the same problem since some weeks, on an Asus board, same Intel driver. Was your upgrade to 9.5 rapid storage driver succussful? Do you still see stop 9088?

Boris Gjenero said...

After I uninstalled the old driver and restarted, Windows 7 seemed to hang at the login screen for 10 seconds or so. Then, it continued, and I was able to install the 9.5 driver without any problems. I haven't seen a stop 9088 or any other problems with the 9.5 driver.

Unknown said...

Thanks, man. You saved me a lot of time and let me straight to the point. Now I know my enemy in person, lol.

Unknown said...

It just happened today for the first time after hibernating win 7. I am on Alienware M17 R2. I am using intel rapid storage 9.6.1014. This blue screen is rare. I have used hibernate hundreds of times without a problem. Works fine after rebooting..

Boris Gjenero said...

I've never seen this bluescreen with 9.5.0.1037. I've been using that version since November 2009, and during that time I've used sleep and hibernation countless times. The problem was rare, but if it was still present it would have showed up by now.

Anonymous said...

i have gotten mine about 5 or so times now i have had the computer for about a yr and half now. I get that one followed with 4 more in () they are all 0XFFFFF88006DDE then the last 3 digits are different 880, 884, 890, 894. I have no idea what causes it but whatever it runs while in hibernation or to go into or out of hibernation has to be the cause. I have thought it may be my video card but i am no genius in these matters

The Geeks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.